Friday 20 May 2011

End of Education.

I had my last exam today. Or, as I like to call it, my final final. It was odd leaving the exam hall, knowing that if all goes well, the next time I'm there I'll be wearing a gown and a mortarboard. Now seems to be a good time to look back at my education so far, so apologies for the reminiscent nature of this post!


I still remember my first day at Holbrook Primary School. I was is Ms. Sowery's class, and as a class we all sat in a circle and said our names, and then held hands and waved our arms up and down. As you do.

Holbrook School. A photo from the olden days.
 
It must have been in the first couple of weeks or term that wewere told to write a poem. Being a scared little four-year old, I was writing a poem about Ms. Sowery, when I realised that I didn't know a single word that rhymed with 'Sowery'. She came over, taught me the word 'boughery' and explained that it's a word for when there's lots of branches over the road. I think it's the first thing I remember consciously learning.



I'm 22 now. In my time in education, I've sat through countless exams. Year Two SATs, Year Six SATs, end-of year exams in Year 7 and 8, more SATs in Year 9, then numerous GCSE modules in Year 10 and 11. AS levels and A levels in college, then end-of-year exams in the first two years at university, before my finals this year.

Not once, in one single exam or class in the last eighteen years, since Ms. Sowery's reception class, have I ever had the chance to use the word 'boughery'. Pity.

A boughery. Not a useful word. (from Etrusia's Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment