Thursday 1 October 2009

First Day of School.

Wow. I didn't expect that.



I woke up at 7am, and went down to the school for 8am, where I met the Prinipal, and hundreds of teachers; Then, at 8:20, my first lesson started. I stood at the front of the class for an hour, under a barrage of questions about England:

"Do you have aneee bruzzer or seester?"
"Where is 'Orsham?"
"Do you like ze Twilight storieez?"

It all went fairly smoothly, and I managed to pretend I like Twilight, so the female contingent in the class now like me. I hope.

The next class was the same format, but with a slightly lower standard of English, which meant I had to whip out the 'louder-and-slower' card, which worked very nicely. Although one pupil asked me if I am Homer Simpson. Slightly disconcerting; maybe I have jaundice?

I then had lunch, which was a very nice Italian-themed meal, complete with Italian music, flags and propaganda. From the outside, it may've looked a bit like a far-right Italian rally, but never mind.

After lunch, however, the fun really began. Take some Cornish Pixies, 25 tired fourteen-year-olds, and add them together for an hour, and you get an interesting outcome. Oh, and I was on my own. Conpletely. EEK!

I resorted to playing a bit of hangman, and asking them questions in English, but it's amazing how slowly an hour goes when you have a classful of bored stdents seeking entertainment. They were loud, but with a carefully placed 'Silence!' and the occasional 'Sssshh!', they seemed to enjoy the class, and maybe even understood why the pixies were in Cornwall. I, however, am still none the wiser.

Now i'm back in the haven of the English-teacher's house (and ,ine for the forseeable future), and it's much more relaxing. I feel exactly like the teacher in that film, The Chorus. Except with less singing. And worse-behaved pupils.

Strangely though, given the situation, I don't feel like running home yet. I reckon that with a bit of time and effort, the classes will be manageable and fun. I just hope I have le temps et l'effort!!

1 comment:

  1. Damn, I was hoping you would have wanted to run back home :) It sounds like you are a proper teacher actually. And like you are having fun. Once they get to know you they will be better behaved. And you will be more smooth with it all! Miss you. xxx

    ReplyDelete