Sunday 24 January 2010

Marché

I visited an authentic French market on Saturday morning. Photos can't really capture the bustling hoards of French people fighting to purchase vegetables from the loudest farmers in the world, but they're better than nothing.

Conforming nicely to the French-people-wear-berets stereotype, this farmer was selling leeks and carrots:



They also had crazy amounts of pineapples for sale, at three for 1€. Yet every week there are farmers protesting that they're not getting paid enough. I can't help thinking that maybe it's their own fault for charging so little. Also, growing pineapples in France?! The bill for heating the greenhouses must be more than the cost of all the pineapples put together!



I like all of the colours that you find in French markets. The trouble is, they then put all the vegetables into a meal in a red wine sauce, and everything goes a deep reddy-brown colour. They should leave it raw, as it looks much more exciting:

3 comments:

  1. When I was in France I only saw 3 beret-toting French people. But lots of baguettes. Lots. They eat a lot of pineapple in France..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 for 1 euro! You'd better stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am an American who lived in France for 4 years (hubby is French), we want to move back and move to Nantes. I am enjoying your blog tremendously. One thing I miss the most are the markets......so I appreciated the photo of the stereotypical Frenchman wearing his beret!!!

    ReplyDelete