Friday 22 January 2010

Thirty-five Hour Week?

It's a hard life being an assistant. This week i've had to endure a gruelling three-hour week. And to make it worse, they insist on paying me as if i've worked a full week.


A photo from the Jardin des Plantes. Irrelevant, but pretty nonetheless.

Four hours of lessons were cancelled on Tuesday, as half the teachers were at training days in nearby Angers.

Then, on Thursday, most of the teachers at the school were on strike, so I decided to join them. Partly because I enjoyed striking so much last time, and partly because it meant I could send Frida off properly from the station; better than putting her on a tram and running off to teach.

All in all, i've worked out that i've been paid £69.58 for every hour that i've worked this week. When worked out pro-rata, that means my yearly salary would come to £141,000. Which is £6000 more than the Prime Minister.

It's a hard life being an assistant.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one Gavin, unfortunately I haven't missed anything this week due to strikes, but still, it's amazing how little work we actually do compared to the wages. Not that I'm complaining

    ReplyDelete